Podwolocyska

Name in English: 
Podvolochyska
Name in Ukrainian: 
Pidvolochysk (Підволочиськ)
Name in Polish: 
Podwołoczyska
Name in Hebrew: 
פידבולוצ'יסק
Name in Yiddish: 
פּאָדוואָלאָטשיסק
Historical-cultural region: 
Eastern Galicia
Population Data: 

 

Year

General Population

Jewish Population

1880

1874

1004

1890

3778

2651

1900

5176

3779

1910

5635

3836

1921

3670

2275

1931

(?)

2334

 

Pidvolochysk is situated about 35 km. east of Ternopil, on the western bank of the Zbruch river. The Zbruch river, one of the tributaries of the Dniester, formed the border between Galicia on the Austro-Hungarian side and Russia on the Eastern side, following the division of Poland. Pidvolochysk was almost accidentally founded, on the route between Galician Ternopil and Russian Volochys’k. The laying of the tracks intended to link the Galician railway system with the Russian one, and in particular the building of a bridge over the Zbruch river, necessitated living accommodations for railway workers in the vicinity. Local merchants from the adjacent small village of Staromishchyna established businesses to serve the workers during the decade or so the construction of the railroad took. In 1872, with the completion of the work on the railway, Pidvolochysk was declared a city, with the intention of it serving as a center for the transfer of merchandise between Europe and Russia. Large warehouses for the storage of merchandise, enclosures for livestock awaiting veterinary inspection prior to import, and factories and warehouses for the marketing of eggs were erected, alongside workshops and repair shops for the upkeep of the engines and cars of the trains, and various factories for the optimal utilization of merchandise that was unfitted for import or export in its existing form. The railway track that travelled through the city brought merchandise from all over the Austro-Hungarian Empire and from many other countries, such as Switzerland, England, France and the German Empire, and these countries founded commerce agencies and brokerage centers in the city. The city developed quickly, and its population grew exponentially until the beginning of the twentieth century, when the founding of additional commercial centers along the Zbruch river led to a deceleration in the pace of growth. With the outbreak of the First World War, the city was captured by the Russian forces, who exiled its inhabitants, and remained in Russian hands until its re-capture by the Austrians in 1917. Many of the city’s former inhabitants did not, however, return. The city’s economic standing between the two World Wars did not improve, primarily due to a sharp decline in the quantity of agricultural exports between Europe and Russia.