Lysiec - General information


Lysiec was mentioned in the written sources as early as 1491 when it was a village in private possession (Istoriia mist, 239; Pinkas Hakehilot, 301). In 1652, it became a part of the regional defense system against  Tatar invasions. A Roman-Catholic church was established by the village's owner Andrej Potocki in 1669 (Słownik, 5:860). An Armenian community also existed in the village; and a stone Armenian Catholic church was consecrated in 1854 (Słownik, 5:860).

In 1880, there were 2,359 residents in Lysiec, of them 254 Roman-Catholics (mostly Poles) and 1,100 Greek-Catholics (mostly Ukrainians). The remaining population included 983 Jews and 22 Armenian Catholics (Słownik, 5:860). According to the census of 1900, there were 1,095 Jews in Lysiec which composed 44% of the total population of 2,512 (Pinkas Hakehilot, 301).

During the Russian military occupation of 1914-1915 Lysiec was almost destroyed. This led to a dramatic reduction in the local population and especially in the Jewish community. In 1921, the census counted only 275 Jews, 18% of the population of 1,560 people (Pinkas Hakehilot, 301).


Further reading: Lysiec - Jews in the 18th century