- Чортків (Chortkiv)
In 1880 - 2,214 Jews
In 1921 - 3,314 Jews
Before the First World War there was a Teachers' Seminar in town of Czortkow. (CAHJP, Hm2/9138.4).
Chortkiv is located on the banks of the Seret river 38 miles South-East of Tarnopol. It is the largest city in Podolia.
The city was established in 1552 and the Jews are first recorded living in Chortkiv since 1616. The old Jewish cememtery has tombstones that date before 1648. Chortkiv was a large Hassidic center established by Rabbi David Moshe son of Rabbi Yisrael of Ruzhyn.
Read more on Wikipedia