Pechenizhin

Name in English: 
  • Pechenezhin
Names in Ukrainian: 
  • Печеніжин (Pechenizhin)
Names in Polish: 
Peczeniżyn
Names in Russian: 
Pechenezhyn
Names in Yiddish: 
פעטשיניזשין (Petchinizhin)
Administrative District : 
Kolomyja
Coordinates: 
48°30′36″ 24°53′21″
Administrative History: 
Years State Province District
Till 1772 Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth: Kingdom of Poland  

Rus Voivodship (Województwo ruskie)

 Ziemia halicka

Stanislawów starostwo; Kołomyia powiat
1772-1918 "Hapsburg Empire", since 1804 - Austrian Empire, since 1867 - Austro-Hungarian Monarchy  

Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria (Königreich Galizien und Lodomerien)

Kołomyia powiat, Galicia
1914-1915 Under Russian occupation General-Government Galitsiia  
1915-1918 Austro-Hungarian Monarchy  

Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria (Königreich Galizien und Lodomerien)

 
1918 - May 1919 West-Ukrainian People's Republic    
May 1919 - September 1939 Republic of Poland Stanislawów wojewódstwo Peczeniżyn powiat
September 1939 - June 1941 USSR: Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic Stanislav oblast'  
June 1941 - July 1944 Under German occupation: General Government (Das Generalgouvernement für die besetzten polnischen Gebiete Distrikt Galizien Stanislau Kreishauptmannschaft
1944-91 USSR: Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic Stanislavov (Stanislaviv) oblast'; since 1962 renamed Ivano-Frankovsk (Ivano-Frankivs'k) oblast'  
Since 1991 Republic of Ukraine Ivano-Frankivs'k oblast' Коломийський р-н

 

Population Data: 
Year Total Jews Percentage of Jews
1655     -
1870s      
1880  4,640  1,174  25.30%
1890  5,867  2,024  34.49%
1900  6,838  2,224  32.52%
1913  7,000  2,300  32.85%
1921  5,984  1,413  23.61%
1931   ?  1,330  
2005  5,350    

Pechenezhin is a small town in western Ukraine on the Luchka and Pecheniga rivers, 12 km. from Kolomya.

Pechenizhyn was a small town in the possession of a nobleman. We know that Jews resided there as early as the 18th century, since the wooden synagogue in the town, complete with its spectacular wall paintings, dates to this time. The population of the town – both Jewish and non-Jewish – grew significantly following the discovery of oil wells at the end of the 19th century. In 1890 there were 2,224 Jews in Pechenizhyn (out of 6,838 inhabitants), but with the decrease in oil production the Jewish population of the town dwindled, with many leaving for other locations in Galicia or abroad. During the Holocaust the Jews of Pechenizhyn were deported to the Kołomyja ghetto, where they died together with the Jews of Kolomyja.

 The only witness to the former Jewish life of this town is an old cemetery, situated on the hill across the river from Pechenizhyn.