Bohorodchany (Brotchin)

Name in English: 
  • Bohorodchany (Brotchin)
Names in Ukrainian: 
  • Bohorodchany [Богородчани]
Names in Polish: 
Bohorodczany
Names in German: 
Bohorodtschany
Names in Russian: 
Bogorodchany [Богородчаны]
Names in Hebrew: 
בוהורודטשאני, בוהורוטשאני, באהאראדשאני, באהאראדטשאני, בוהורודשאן, בראָדשין
Names in Yiddish: 
Brotchin/Brodchin [בראָדשין]
Historical-cultural region: 
Eastern Galicia - Prikarpattia
Administrative District : 
District center, Ivano-Frankivsk region
Coordinates: 
48°48′25″ 24°32′11″
Administrative History: 

 

Years State Province District
Till 1772 Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth: Kingdom of Poland

Rus Voivodship (Województwo ruskie)

Stanislawów starostwo; Kołomyia powiat (Powiat Kołomyjski)
1772-1867 "Hapsburg Empire", since 1804 - Austrian Empire

Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria (Königreich Galizien und Lodomerien)

Stanislau Gebiet
1867-1914 Austro-Hungarian Monarchy

Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria (Königreich Galizien und Lodomerien)

Bohorodczany powiat (Herbivnyk130)
1914-1915 Under Russian occupation General-Government Galitsiia  
1915-1918 Austro-Hungarian Monarchy

Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria (Königreich Galizien und Lodomerien)

Bohorodczany powiat
1918 - May 1919 West-Ukrainian People's Republic    
May 1919 - Sept. 1939 Republic of Poland Stanislawów wojewódstwo Till 1932 Bohorodczany powiat
Since 1932 Stanislawów powiat
Sept. 1939 - June 1941 USSR: Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic Stanislav oblast' Since 1940: Bogorodchany (Bohorodchany) raion
June 1941 - July 1944

Under German occupation:
General Government
(Das Generalgouvernement
für die besetzten polnischen Gebiete
)

 

Distrikt Galizien Stanislau Kreishaupt-mannschaft
1944-91 USSR: Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic Stanislavov (Stanislaviv) oblast'; since 1962 renamed Ivano-Frankovsk (Ivano-Frankivs'k) oblast' Bogorodchany  (Bohorodchany) raion
Since 1991 Republic of Ukraine Ivano-Frankivs'k oblast' Bohorodchany raion

 

Population Data: 

 

Year Total Jews Percentage of Jews
1765 - 564 (646 in the entire kahal) -
1870s 4,595 2,009 43.7%
1880 4,423 2,202 49.8%
1890 4,781 2,505 52.4%
1900 4,706 2,219 47.2%
1910 4,378 1,930 44.1%
1921 2,615 730 27.9%

 

According to the statistical data submitted by the local authorities on May 28, 1920, there were  4240 people in Bohorodczany: 930 Poles, 2108 Russians and 1212 Jews. ( CAHJP, Hm2/8888.14)

Remarks: 

For photographs of Bohorodczany see the Gallery section.

 

Bohorodchany is an urban settlement on the right bank of the Bystritsa Solotvinska River (a tributary of the Dniester River), located at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains, 16 kilometers southeast of Ivano-Frankivs'k and 19 kilometers north of Nadvirna.

The name Bohorodchany is probably derived from the name used for the Virgin Mary in the Slavic languages, Bohoroditsa. First mentioned as a

private settlement in 1411. Jews are mentioned in documents from 1717. In 1905,
Yeshivat Torat Haim was founded in the town.

The Yiddish form Brotchin is a reduction, common for the Yiddish language, in which the consonant "h" in the Slavic name is regularly omitted (We are thankful to Prof. Valerii Dymshits from St. Petersburg for this note).