Horodenka

Name in English: 
Horodenka
Name in Ukrainian: 
Horodenka [Городенка]
Name in Polish: 
Horodenka
Name in Russian: 
Gorodеnka [Городенка]
Name in Yiddish: 
Horodenke [האראדענקע]
Historical-cultural region: 
Eastern Galicia
Administrative History: 

 

Years State Province District
Till 1772 Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth: Kingdom of Poland

Rus Voivodship (Województwo ruskie)

 
1772-1914 "Hapsburg Empire", since 1804 - Austrian Empire, since 1867 - Austro-Hungarian Monarchy Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria (Königreich Galizien und Lodomerien)  Horodenka powiat
1914-1915 Under Russian occupation General-Government Galitsiia  Horodenka uezd
1915-1918 Austro-Hungarian Monarchy   

Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria (Königreich Galizien und Lodomerien)

 Horodenka powiat
1918 - May 1919 West-Ukrainian People's Republic    
May 1919 - September 1939 Republic of Poland Stanislawów wojewódstwo  Horodenka powiat
September 1939 - June 1941 USSR: Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic Stanislav oblast'  Horodenka raion
June 1941 - July 1944 Under German occupation:  

General Government (Das Generalgouvernement für die besetzten polnischen Gebiete)

Distrikt Galizien  
1944-91 USSR: Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic Stanislavov (Stanislaviv) oblast'; since 1962 renamed Ivano-Frankovsk (Ivano-Frankivs'k) oblast'  Horodenka raion
Since 1991 Republic of Ukraine Ivano-Frankivs'k oblast'  Horodenka raion

 

Population Data: 
Year Total Jews Percentage of Jews
1765 -  923 -
1870s  8,824  3,159  35.8%
1890  11,162  4,340  38.8%
1900  11,613  4,255  36.6%
1910  11,223  4,210 37.5% 
1921  9,907  3,048  30.7%
1931    3,256  
2001  9800    

Horodenka  is a town on the small river Yamgoriv, 75 km from Ivano-Frankivsk. It was mentioned for the first time in 1195; in 1668 the town was granted the Magdeburg Law. 

In the town of Horodenka, the buildings of the Great Synagogue and of another beit midrash  are extant. The Jewish cemetery is partially preserved.

Photographs  of the town, its synagogues and Jewish cemetery made by Dr. Vladimir Levin  in August 2009 see at the Gallery section.